top of page
HOW TO BREW: THE CHEMEX
What You Need:
Grinder(We love the Baratza series!)
40g (6 tablespoons) of fresh roasted coffee
Kettle (pro series: Bonavita Variable Temp Kettle)
Hot water just off the boil ( 700g or 23.5oz at 91_94ºC (205°F)
1.Fold filter according to package directions, place into Chemex (thin side on the spout) and rinse with 250 to 500mL (8 oz. to 16 oz.) hot water.
Dump out that water!
2.Weigh 40g coffee (about 6 tablespoons) and grind on a coarse setting (very similar to French Press).
3.Add ground coffee to the Chemex, place on scale and tare scale.
1. Add 100g (3.5oz) of hot water to coffee grounds, pouring in circles* as to get all the grinds wet. Use the back of a wooden spoon or a coffee paddle to stir water and grinds together.
Wait 30 seconds. * (Pouring slowly in circles helps keep the brew consistent and water to filter through the coffee and paper evenly)
2. There should be a crust on top of the coffee grinds now. Pour slowly in circles again to break all of that crust up. In total in this step, add another 250g (8.5oz) of water (total 350g/12oz).
Wait until the water level drops by ½-inch.
3. When the water level has dropped, add in remaining water (to bring the total water up to 640g).
The entire pouring process should take place in 2 - 2.5 minutes.
4. Wait for it to finish filtering, grab the filter and place in the compost.
5. Serve to your best friends or lover.
bottom of page